Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Everyone is in a Program

In the Weight Watcher's bathroom there is a little poster that reads: H.A.L.T. Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. I'm familiar with this acronym from my Alanon days. The premise is that you are more vulnerable to your character defects or unwanted behavior when you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.

While it was nice to see a familiar acronym that I used to help me through my co-dependant behavior, I never thought to use it to control my compulsion to eat.

I wondered is everyone in some sort of program? Are we all trying to recover from one thing or another? So what if we are. That just means we were conditioned, raised, trained, influenced, self-induced destructive and now we are all trying to change our paths. Take the road less traveled...the 'skinny' road, if you will.

Althought I know they are hurting, I'm excited when I see people in Alanon or Weight Watchers because I know they are making a change, turning the tide, breaking the chain. It takes a brave and humble person to go publicly (even though its anonymous) and express their need to re-wire. Bravo people! And Bravo to Me!

Now, before I get hungry I'm going to fix my 8 point dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment