Monday, July 12, 2010

Dad & Mom

As a child, I yearned for time with my folks. I loved spending any time allowed in the kitchen with my mom, watching and sometimes helping her do laundry, combing her hair while she watched Mary Tyler Moore, or quietly sitting at her feet while she talked on the phone, I loved it especially if she giggled.

My dad has always been a man's man. He is an expert in anything he touches including woodworking, gun smithing, watch making, electronics...you name it. I would sit across from him as he doodled a prototype for something he would make by hand, I'd sit next to him and watch boxing on TV or run and get him a fresh beer (hoping he'd let me drink the warm last inch left in the mug).

As a young adult, I respected my parents but soon found myself wanting to prove I could do without them. I wanted them to see that I could have my own house, take care of my own children, have a successful marriage, gain a career and be completely sufficient without their assistance.

Now as the years tick by as quickly as seconds on a clock, I will be 50 years old in 3.5 seconds (years). I find I need my parents now more than ever. All the things I loved about spending time with them as a youngster, all the conversations I enjoyed listening to, all the processed, quips, rules I didn't understand then but figured they knew what they were talking about...they all still hold true to my longings today.

There are things in addition that I need now. I need their touch, I want to know their thoughts - on everything from why canned green beans taste better than frozen to why we voted differently in the last election. I want to learn everything from them, I want to know who they were, who they are and who they ever hoped to be.

It's funny how fast time goes by. Seems like only yesterday I feel asleep on my mom's lap and my dad carried me to bed. I want that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment